From: owner-radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu]On Behalf Of Sewell, Linda

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 9:32 AM

To: Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV; Radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu

Subject: RE: A Question for Power Reactor Types and others with portal

monitors.

Greetings All,

Nuclear Medicine patients have been an issue at power plants for years since most of us have portal monitors at the exit to our protected area, not just the radiologically controlled areas.  We've had 16 folks in our "portal pass" program in the past year and we employee approximately 1100 people.

We have found that Tc-99 alarms our portals for 1-3 weeks.  I think it really depends on how much Mo-99 there is as a contaminant.

Tl-201 is typically less than a week but is dependent on what it's being used for.

I-123 used for thyroid scans is gone pretty quickly, within a few days.

I-131 for partial or complete thyroid ablation is a problem for 1 - 3 MONTHS and a dose rate issue for closely located co-workers for a few days.

We are starting to see F-18 and Ga-67 a bit now, but don't really have any good data yet.

Another one that is generally only an issue if your lower energy thresholds are set below 80 KeV or so are the prostate cancer seeds.  The I-125 seeds are fairly straightforward but the Pd-103 seeds have a significant Zn-65 contaminant which can cause problems.  If the monitors "see" that low, the seeds are an issue for 1-3 years.

Several of our workers have indicated that they were setting off the incoming gate alarms at our local landfill.

A common thread throughout which confuses the matter is that the folks doing the tests routinely tell the people that we'll never see it or that it will be gone in just a day or two.  The bottom line is, as well all know, if you start off with a BUNCH of activity (millicuries) you still have a BUNCH of activity (from a portal or gate monitor standpoint)  even after 7-10 half-lives.

Regarding Peter's issue on homeland security, it's a very valid point.  As I recall, I think the current plan is to start having nuc med groups issue the equivalent of our "portal pass" that indicates that the person has had a nuclear medicine treatment.  Also, if homeland security sticks with the FEMA alarm setpoints of 1 uCi that will reduce the impacts.  Most power plants set their portals to alarm at somewhere around 100 nCi.

Hope this provided some useful information.

Linda

Linda Sewell, CHP

Dosimetry Supervisor

Diablo Canyon Power Plant