RE: A Question for Power Reactor Types and others with portal mon itors.

Tl-201 is produced by Tl-203 + P --> Pb-201 + 3n -->

Tl-201 (EC) in 9.4 hours.  Also, Tl-203 + P --> Pb-200

+ 4n --> Tl-200 (Beta decay) in 21.5 hr.

That is what I get from

http://www.nuclearonline.org/PI/Mallinckrodt%20Thallium.pdf

I am looking at an old text book that mentions the

Tl-203 + n --> Tl-204 reaction.  I am wondering if

that is in error based on what I see from the

manufacturer's insert.  (Will need to check on this)

I am not surprised that your patient set off the trash

monitors.  They are probably large NaI detectors, like

the kind used by Homeland Insecurity people.

--- "Vernig, Peter G." <Peter.Vernig@med.va.gov>

=====