Re: Love Canal - AP and Study

    In case anyone can't wait until October for the results of this study, I consulted my trusty chrystal ball and learned it will be found that the data are inconclusive and further study will be required.   Jerry Cohen

    © 2004 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

    N.Y. Love Canal Health Study Due in Fall BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)--Results of a study examining the health of former residents of the contaminated Love Canal are expected in the fall, two years later than expected, state health officials said Thursday. The scope of the study, involving about 6,000 people, has been expanded over time, Health Department spokesman Bill Van Slyke said. Results are expected in October. Researchers have been examining mortality and cancer rates, birth defects and miscarriage rates among former residents and their relatives since 1998. The Niagara Falls neighborhood was built on and around a canal that had for years been used as a chemical dump; by the 1960s and 1970s, contaminated groundwater was leaching into yards and school grounds. President Carter declared a federal emergency in 1978 and 1980, which led to 900 families being moved and the passage in 1980 of the Superfund law.