RE: Georeactor

Dale,

The questions you raise below have been addressed numerous times in various

publications, including the Dutch paper I referenced in my initial post of

this thread (ie. http://www.nuclearplanet.com/0404046.pdf ).

I quote:

"Calculations at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Hollenbach and Herndon,

2001) show that a

planetary-scale nuclear reactor can operate over the lifetime of the Earth

as a breeder reactor"

The paper is also available through a link at the nuclearplanet.com web

site, at http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/98/20/11085.pdf

Regarding the uranium question,

" The possibility of a nuclear georeactor is linked to the state of

oxidation in the deep interior of the Earth. Herndon has convincing

arguments for a state of oxidation like an enstatite chondrite, different

from the more oxidised, ordinary chondrites considered by Birch.

As a consequence of the highly reduced state some so-called lithophile

elements including some Si, Mg, Ca, U and possibly Th occur in part of the

core. These elements, tending to be incompatible in an iron alloy, are

expected to precipitate at relative high temperatures. Due to their density

MgS and CaS will float to the core-mantle boundary, whereas uranium sulphide

(US) and nickel silicide will sink to the Earth's centre.

At pressures that prevail in the core, U and Th, being high-temperature

precipitates and the densest substances would tend to concentrate in the

Earth core by the action of gravity. In that process it will ultimately form

a fissionable, critical mass. Fission produces less (half) dense fission

products that tend to separate from the more dense actinides. In this way a

critical reactor condition can maintain. "

This is again from the Dutch paper.

Several of Herndon's papers on this subject are available in pdf format on

the nuclearplanet.com web site.

Also, according to a recent paper in Nature (vol.427, 505 - 509, 5 February

2004);

Mixing, volatile loss and compositional change during impact-driven

accretion of the Earth

ALEX N. HALLIDAY

<snip> "....impacting core material did not always mix efficiently with the

silicate portions of the Earth before being added to the Earth's core.

"<snip>

Thanks for your interest.

Jaro

http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec.html