From: <alstonchris@netscape.net>

To: <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 11:01 AM

Subject: RE: A Question for Power Reactor Types

> I hope this isn't a reiteration, but it's not in my "Sent" file.

> >At a hospital where I worked during the mid-90's, we figured that we

saved ~US$1200 per day, when we could rule out a myocardial infarction (MI)

as the cause of chest pain, in the ER, without admitting the pt. Note

though, that it's effectively a stress test, so you're using Tc-99m (say, as

Cardiolite), not Tl-201 (at least that I've ever heard).

> >Also, they're starting to use Tl-201 for oncologic scans now. That goes

along with John's observation about the aging population.

> >I find it *really* hard to believe that anyone's getting enough moly

breakthrough in a tech dose to give photon flux rates that set off portal

monitors.  Plus, the phenomenon would have to be very widespread, wouldn't

it?

> >It's more likely that the pts were given more than one

radiopharmaceutical, the classic example (again) being cardiac studies in

which the pt gets thallium for the resting phase, and tech-99m for the

stressed phase.