RE: red abalone shells research

All,

According to The Effects of Nuclear Weapons, compiled and edited by Samuel

Glasstone and Philip Dolan, on page 608 (Sections 12.197-12.199): "Carbon-14

is not strictly a component of fallout, but it is convenient to consider

here since it is formed by the action of fast neutrons, e.g. from a

thermonuclear weapon on nitrogen in the atmosphere." (Section 12.197); and,

"As a consequence of testing thermonuclear weapons, starting in 1952, there

has been a large increase in the quantity of carbon-14 in the atmosphere,

particularly in the stratosphere." The text goes on to say that although

C-14 concentrations are decreasing much of the amount in the stratosphere

"will find its way into the lower part of the atmosphere (troposphere)." In

Section 12.199 the text states, "The whole-body dose from carbon-14 in

nature before 1952 was somewhat less than 1 mrem per annum. By 1964, this

dose had been roughly doubled by the additional carbon-14 arising from

nuclear tests in the atmosphere. If there are no substantial additions, the

dose will decrease gradually and approach normal in another 100 years or

so."  It also says that that dose from strontium-90 is greater than that

from carbon-14.

Also, and the mass spectroscopists can answer better than I, isn't

accelerator mass spectrometry useful for measuring C-14 in samples?

Sincerely,

Jerry Falo

The statements and opinions expressed herein are my responsibility; no one

else (certainly not my employer) is responsible, but I still reserve the

right to make mistakes.

Check core temperature: yes./no? Yes! - Homer Simpson

Gerald A. Falo, Ph.D., CHP

Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine

U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine

jerry.falo@us.army.mil

410-436-4852