RE: Shielding Material

The ideal thing would be depleted U, but not politically correct.

Stopping power grows with atomic weight (more than linearly) and with

density, so the next maneageable heavy metals would be bismuth (blah),

gold (why not?), Pt (ditto), Os, Re (?), W.

There are machinable tungsten alloys there: I quote without promoting:

"tungsten heavy alloy is more than 50% denser than lead, yet can be

machined readily by conventional methods"

specifically recommeded for radiation shielding.

so where is the problem?

You have cross section data for the elements vs gamma energy, right?

Marco