RE: Kerry on Yucca Mt.

Senator Kerry was on our local news today and addressed his position on

Yucca Mountain.  I will transcribe some of that interview for the

members of this list to answer some of the questions brought up by some.

This was on "Face to Face" May 17, 2004

Ralston: Yucca Mountain obviously (has) been a big issue for you in

Nevada. . .  You had an op-ed piece that was in the local newspaper

today.  Let me quote from it and ask you about it.  You said "I voted

against the plan to dispose of waste at Yucca mountain.  And as

President I would fight against it.  That includes putting a stop to the

dump once and for all."   The question is how, how are you going to do

that?

Kerry:  "There are any number of ways you can do it.  First of all you

have to submit it to the Congress and be willing to do it.  Funding is

required so you can do it with a budget.  You can do it with your EPA.

You can do it by heeding the scientific advice and by putting that

scientific advice out in front of the Nation.  You have to do what is in

the interest of safety and in the interest of smart policy.  I have

always believed there were problems with Yucca Mountain as a repository.

It is very, very, distinct. Now as President, believe me, there are

enormous leverage and assets you can bring to bear on that.  I think the

country has to go to 21St. Century science.  I don't think the current

Administration believes in science adequately.  They deny the science of

global warming, they deny the science of stem cell research, they deny

the science now of what people are telling us about long term safety of

Yucca mountain.  And they have even ignored warnings about the safety of

workers up there.  I think that is callused.  I think that is wrong.  I

will proceed to take America down the road of proper scientific research

and discovery.  I am confidant we can find a more effective, long term

way to ultimately dispose of our waste. . . I think the science out

there tells us that Yucca mountain is not a good idea."

Don't shoot the messenger. I just thought this extra statement applied

to the discussion.

Carl Speer

Real-Time Radiological Services, Inc.

2721 Losee Rd, Suite E