  From: Jim Otton

  To: JGinniver@AOL.COM ; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

  Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 5:32 PM

  Subject: RE: Natural radioactivity in oil

  Julian,

  I have a copy of USGS Bull. 1100 "Uranium and other metals in crude oils".  It is not online.  Part A of the document describes the analytical methods and Part B describes the data from the study.  The sampling covered oilfields west of the Mississippi and cannot be considered a random sample.

  Table 6 in that report lists 117 analyses for uranium in crude oil.  The DL was 0.1 ppb.  Twelve values were less than  0.1 ppb, 64 values are in the range of 0.1-0.9ppb, 35 values are in the range of 1.0-9.9 ppb and 5 values range from 10.0-400 ppb.  The data are log normally distributed.  The median is 0.5 ppb.

  There is some indication that high values are found in specific geographic areas, but the data are too sparse to define patterns..

  Jim Otton