From: John Jacobus [mailto:crispy_bird@yahoo.com]

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 3:53 PM

To: Riely, Brian P.; John_Sukosky@DOM.COM; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Only nuclear power can now halt global warming

If I remember correctly, as glaciers melt, the

landmass rises. Thus, there is a volume increase in

the oceans as melted waters are added to it.  Also,

you analogy, does "not hold water."  Water should be

added to the glass as melting glaciers would add water

to the oceans.

I ran across this detailed study about glaciers

http://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/fellows/zachfinal.pdf

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=524313

> [...]

> about the safety of

> nuclear energy are irrational and exaggerated, and

> urges the Green movement

> to drop its opposition.

> In today's Independent, Professor Lovelock says he

> is concerned by two

> climatic events in particular: the melting of the

> Greenland ice sheet,

> which will raise global sea levels significantly,

> and the episode of

> extreme heat in western central Europe last August,

> accepted by many

> scientists as unprecedented and a direct result of

> global warming.

> These are ominous warning signs, he says, that

> climate change is speeding,

> but many people are still in ignorance of this.

> Important among the reasons

> is "the denial of climate change in the US, where

> governments have failed

> to give their climate scientists the support they

> needed".

> He compares the situation to that in Europe in 1938,

> with the Second World

> War looming, and nobody knowing what to do. The

> attachment of the Greens to

> renewables is "well-intentioned but misguided", he

> says, like the Left's

> 1938 attachment to disarmament when he too was a

> left-winger.

> He writes today: "I am a Green, and I entreat my

> friends in the movement to

> drop their wrongheaded objection to nuclear energy."

> His appeal, which in effect is asking the Greens to

> make a bargain with the

> devil, is likely to fall on deaf ears, at least at

> present.

> "Lovelock is right to demand a drastic response to

> climate change," Stephen

> Tindale, executive director of Greenpeace UK, said

> last night. "He's right

> to question previous assumptions.

> "But he's wrong to think nuclear power is any part

> of the answer. Nuclear

> creates enormous problems, waste we don't know what

> to do with; radioactive

> emissions; unavoidable risk of accident and

> terrorist attack."

> Tony Juniper, director of Friends of the Earth,

> said: "Climate change and

> radioactive waste both pose deadly long-term

> threats, and we have a moral

> duty to minimise the effects of both, not to choose

> between them."

> John M. Sukosky, CHP

> Dominion

> Surry Power Station

> (757)-365-2594 (Tieline: 8-798-2594)

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

=====

"We cannot escape danger, or the fear of danger, by crawling into bed and pulling the covers over our heads."

-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist