Re: RE: Only nuclear power can now halt global warming

Hi all:

The following link to "Volume of Earth's Polar Ice Caps" answers a lot of the questions and WAGs that

have been part of this thread about ocean rise and volume of water tied up in the polar ice caps as it

relates to global warming/nuclear power:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/HannaBerenblit.shtml

Of note from the above: "An ice cap is defined as a thick permanent covering of ice and snow on

land.....Ice caps were formed millions of years ago from layers of snow that were compressed

together...."

Greenland - Standardized volume of ice result: 2.8 E6 km^3 [670,000 cubic miles of ice!]

            Maximum sea rise potential: 6.5 meters

Antarctica: - Standardized volume of ice result: 30.1 E6 km^3 [about 7 million cubic miles of ice!]

              Maximum sea rise potential: 73.3 meters

So if the polar caps melted in their entirety over time, maximum sea rise about 80 meters [261 feet].

Stewart Farber