RE: Only nuclear power can now halt global warming

Raymond, I love it when we do math on the back of an envelope here! It's so

much fun to use approximate (order-of-magnitude) real quantities! Thanks

for starting!

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1997/EricCheng.shtml states the area of the

Earth's oceans are approximately 140,000,000 square miles (with 5 sources).

http://www.mapzones.com/world/europe/greenland/index.php states that about

708,000 square miles of Greenland's 840,000 total square miles is covered

with ice.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/EmmanuelleStJean.shtml confirms the

area and provides a slightly higher percentage of coverage (90%) with ice.

It also shows several sources for the depth of Greenland's ice cap is

thicker than a mile. Now some of that is below sea level, apparently, so if

we use a mile (1.5km) as an average as Raymond suggested, let's see where

this falls.

There are approximately 198 square miles of ocean for every square mile of

Greendland's ice cap. (140E6/708E3)

If we say there is, on average 5280 feet of ice on every square mile of

Greenland's ice cap, then when that melts (assuming it's all on rock above

sea level), it will raise the entire ocean level by 5280/198 or about 27 feet.

That's a lot in many areas. It is not up to the waist of the Statue of

Liberty, however, although it might lap at the base.

Richard