RE: Only nuclear power can now halt global warming

Finally a topic that I have some expertise in!

The glacier ice on Greenland (as well as other glaciers around the

world) got there as snow over thousands of years.  The weight of the

snow compacts the lower layers into ice.  Given enough weight, the

entire mass begins to flow like thick pancake batter.  If a glacier

stays more or less in place, it means that the rate of flow into the

zone where it is melting is balanced with the rate at which

precipitation is adding weight to the source area.  So, what happens

when temperatures rise, is that melting increases; and barring an

increase in snow precipitation, the glacier retreats (becomes smaller).

The water runs off into the ocean eventually.

Greenland's ice sheet is the big concern, but there are measurable

retreats of glaciers around the world, and each of these can contribute

to sea level changes.  If the Antarctic ice shelves break up due to

thinning and subsequent structural weaknesses, the theory is that the

ice cap can fail catastrophically (geologically speaking) due to loss of

the damming effect of the ice shelf.

Regarding initiation of the glacial cycles, these may have multiple and

interacting causes (solar, orbital, tectonic, disruption of ocean

currents, atmospheric changes, etc) and there is good evidence for

feedback cycles that strengthen and maintain a glacial or interglacial

state--until something tips the balance.  There is geological evidence

for glacial cycles long before the formation of the Himalayas, when you

wouldn't recognize the continents on Earth.

To give you an idea of the effect of warming on sea level, at the height

of the last interglacial warm period, the sea level was some 300 feet

higher.  Now get out your topographic maps and look at Florida and the

eastern seaboard.  NO MATTER WHAT THE CAUSE, if global warming causes

substantial sea level rise; the US and other countries with extensive

coastlines will be in deep trouble.

If nuclear power is to have a significant role in preventing global

warming, then we really need to be smart about it.  How about lobbying

for a return to reprocessing--can it be done safely and economically

without the serious releases to the environment?  What about nuclear

fusion--is there real potential or are the engineering hurdles and

proliferation concerns overwhelming?

As a geologist, I'll just sit back and watch the sea level rise (I live

inland) and the oil reserves fall.

Susan Gawarecki