Fwd: Alien Abduction Memories Under Hypnosis/ Re: Strontium-90 onTennessee Highway 95

NOTE: THE NOTE BELOW WAS SENT TO RADSAFE ON 5/18 BUT APPEARS NOT TO HAVE APPEARED

ON RADSAFE BECAUSE THE FROM: ADDRESS WAS AN EMAIL ADDRESS I USE OTHER THAN

THE ONE REGISTERED WITH RADSAFE. I'm RESENDING IT SINCE IT MAY BE OF INTEREST TO SOME.

From: Stewart Farber <radproject@optonline.net>

To:  radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu, John Jacobus <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM>

Subject: Fwd: Alien Abduction Memories Under Hypnosis/ Re: Strontium-90 on

Tennessee Highway 95

Date: 5/18/04 1:19:23 PM

5/18/04 10:33:35 AM, John Jacobus <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>I believe that it was in Carl Sagan's book, "The

>Demon-Haunted World," that some psychologist believe

>people were abduced by aliens from space.  It has to

>be true because the patients said so.

=========================

Hi all:

An interesting intersection of a radiation therapy done on hundreds of thousands

of young children and possible alien abduction memories follows. Bear with me, it might be

of interest to some. If not, simply delete.

I recall hearing about the psychiatrist at Harvard [Dr. Mack] who wrote a book

about 10 years ago claiming that he had hypnotized a number of patients who had

alien abduction memories. Many of these people studied by the Harvard

psychiatrist recalled quite clearly under hypnosis that they were held down

under bright lights and metal rods inserted up their noses or in their ears.

This Harvard psychiatrist claimed that these memories were "real" --that

something really happened to these people. However, what happened may have

NOTHING to do with aliens but with an ill-advised medical procedure done on

mostly children from post-WWII up through the mid 1970s in some locations -the

procedure called Nasal Radium Irradiation [NRI]. The CDC now estimates that no fewer [their Lo-Lo

Estimate] than 560,000 children received this procedure up through 1961 [with a Hi-Hi Estimate of

2,600,000 treated]. The most likely mean number of children treated is quite approximately 1,000,000.

As strange as it may seem, it is possible that some of these claimed cases of

alien abduction memories may be related to a medical procedure received by these individuals as children

wherein radium tipped rods [50 mg source strength, 0.3 mm Monel encapsulated to maximize beta dose]

were inserted three to four times [for a single course of therapy] bilaterally up their noses and

positioned at the opening of the Eustachian tube to shrink the individual's adenoids. See the photo on

page one of the following former web page I had started on this issue  which came from a medical text

published by a doctor from Johns Hopkins, to see what a child being treated looked like:

http://www.farber.info/reap/default.htm

BTW, if anyone is interested in the NRI issue which delivered average contact

doses to the nasopharynx of about 2,000 rads, they can scroll through the above "snapshot" of my former,

expired web site on this issue.

As mentioned in the Annotated Bibliography, NRI was found to have had the highest

risk of cancer death to a group of children treated experimentally by Johns Hopkins from 1948 - 1953 of

any of the 4,000 experiments reviewed by the President's Advisory Committee on Human Radiation

Experiments in their Final Report to Pres. Clinton in 1995. NRI was also found to be the only

experiment reviewed by the ACHRE to exceed [by a factor of about 10] the ACHRE committee's preselected

threshold for medical notice and followup [excess risk of cancer death of 1 in 1,000 experessed over a

lifetime], but refused to recommend notice. Dr. Glatstein, a respected radiation oncologist and one of

the 14 members of ACHRE, voted in favor of notice and followup but was opposed by the other 13 members of

the committee because it was not "politically acceptable" according to Dr. Glatstein to notify this

[large] population of human radiation experimental subjects. So as usual politics [even under Clinton],

and fears of embarassment by Johns Hopkins University and Hospital if medical notice and followup were

done for 500 or so children [and 7,600 WWII era veterans] in the Hopkins NRI experiment, trumped science.

But I digress. Back to Alien Abductions:

A friend of mine who collects books on alien abductions and other paranormal

issues tells me that THE most common theme in every alien abduction memory mentioned by people who think

they were abducted is that the person was held down under bright lights and metal rods inserted up

their nose or in other body orifices by aliens. Oddly enough, of the 1,000 or so people who contacted me

back in 1996 -97 from Maryland primarily, who received NRI treatments after extensive news coverage

there, a goodly number of individuals treated as older children, clearly told me that some doctors

inserted the rods into their ears foolishly thinking it would help destroy bacteria present with middle

ear infections!!  So some children were indeed treated with radium rods in the ears as well as in the

nose with radium tipped rods [to shrink their adenoids and open the Eustachian tubes], even though there

was no evidence or expectation that radium irradiation of a middle ear bacterial

infection [through the eardrum] was the least bit efficacious.

These children who received NRI [some of whom were treated as infants as young as

6 months to only a few years old --average age about 8 yo.] would likely have very strange, and sometimes

repressed memories of what was in some cases a traumatic treatment. The child would have been required

to recline under a bright light while a doctor with a 6" or so a parabolic metallic relector with a

hole in the middle [for the doctor to view through] focused the bright light on the nasal opening so the

doctor could accurately position the rod through the nostrils, past the turbinates in the nasal opening,

to the rear of the nasopharynx. There is a photo in the book which is a source for the photo in the

link above [Proctor, D.F., "The Tonsils and Adenoids in Childhood". 1968]  which shows what a child

would have seen in looking up at a doctor inserting the rod. I haven't yet scanned this photo but it is

quite suggestive of a large one-eyed alien form to a nervous young child. From the perspective of the

child they would see a head with one very bright "eye" in the middle which may in a repressed, fuzzy

memory have become an "alien" inserting a metal rod. Who knows. This may explain some of the strange

abduction memories in some people. This is obviously just a "hypothesis".

If a very young child squirmed, or would not keep still in their parent's arms

while being treated, they were put on a "papoose board" and bundled [wrapped in blankets] to restraint

them for the 10 to 12 minutes duration of each irradiation, until the rods were removed. Some older

children were put in barber chairs in some centers in Baltimore which used NRI extensively in the 1950s,

and straps put on their arms, head and chest to keep them perfectly still while they were reclined and

the NRI procedure done. What kind of memories might these people, treated as children,  have? Perhaps

they could not intellectually, in their conscious mind,   accept their parents taking them to a

doctor to have this done and the repressed memories of them having the procedure done took on that it was

done by some outside, alien being. Interesting hypothesis? The use of NRI reached a peak in the mid-

1950s when movies about aliens were capturing the fancy of the public and may have been more acceptable

to a child's psyche to reduce anxiety than thinking their parent would let such a bizarre treatment be

done to them.

Stewart Farber, MSPH

[203] 367-0791

-------- End of forwarded message --------