Re: Puzzler: How Does Humidity Affect Counting Efficiency?

Could it have something to do with your source? Pb-210 does not give off

alpha, so you are relying on the progeny (Po-210) to stick around long

enough to decay and give off an alpha. Could Po-210 escape from your source?

Also, I would expect a good alpha counter never to change efficiency (unless

it's broken). That's what makes gross alpha counting so useful for field

use. The efficiency of a good alpha counter should only be given by

geometry: If the alpha particle hits the detector it gets counted with 100%

efficiency, if it misses the detector it doesn't get counted. If this is not

the case, the window is too thick, the detector is too far away from the

source, or the unit is not plateaued properly.

Regards,

Kai

Kai Kaletsch

Environmental Instruments Canada Inc.