RE: Puzzler: How Does Humidity Affect Counting Efficiency?

Floyd,

Thanks.  Yes, we considered air conductivity but it would appear to have

the opposite effect.  In other words, dry air would have more conductivity

(including more static discharges) compared to more humid air.  Humid air

would therefore show a decrease in count rate (not an increase like we're

measuring).

John

                      "Flanigan, Floyd"

                      <Floyd.Flanigan@nmcco.        To:       <John_Sukosky@DOM.COM>,

                      com>                          cc:

                      Sent by:                      Subject:  RE: Puzzler:  How Does Humidity Affect Counting Efficiency?

                      owner-radsafe@list.Van

                      derbilt.Edu

                      05/26/04 11:30 AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Flanigan, Floyd"

I think there is something to think about. If the humidity effects alpha

but not beta count rate on the Tenelec I tend to lean away from a common

component culprit. Have you looked at a correlation on air conductivity and

electrical component proximity? Just a thought.

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.