Re: " Scientists Say Dirty Bomb Would Be a Dud "

My Dear colleague

you mention the word "some still have phobias". When people is at the level

of phobia as I can understand he is in an extreme and irrational fear of

simple

things or social circumstances, and this include your previous etc.

Fear to the point of phobia, in fact had happened in Goiania during the

early, intermediate, and part of the recovery phases of the response to the

Goiania's accident. But there, I can assure, the reason was ignorance of the

great part of population. They have not the minimum knowledge about

radiation risk, and suddenly, only after the emergency response, it was

spread rumors that radiation is associated with cancer.

If you had made the following question in Goiana, before the accident, "Do

you know what ionizing radiation is?" I have no doubt the majority would

tell you: " I don't know what the word ionizing mean" - So, before the

accident the population in Goiania had no phobia, simple because they never

have learned about consequences of ionizing radiation. When they started to

be informed, unfortunately during  the response to an accident in the center

of the city, the information came from several sources, confusing the

understanding of the population and  this was cause of the phobia and until

now, is an important lesson to be learned.. The intense fear to the point of

phobia was due the ignorance not only the individuals who took the

radiotherapy head containing the source, however the entirely population of

Goiania.

When we talk to population about procedures of an emergency, our population

is in fact  a group well defined, located in the neighbor of a fixed

Installation, the critical group. With Goiania we have learned that the

critical group is the whole population, and so will be in the case of

similar accident or to explain RDD.

Another point, we can't blame the press -- the press is not against nuclear,

press is in favor of news, polemic news - If nuclear is not so competent to

get space in the press, don't blame press, blame Governmental incompetence

to get the space.

Jose

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel