Re: The Realism Project

As some of you know, I petitioned the Health Physics Society Board of Directors to direct the HPS president to take actions (some of which I suggested in the petition) to get appropriate studies performed on the Taiwanese exposed to Co-60 radiation.  The president asked only one person to review my petition and make a recommendation to the board.  The person (John Boice) recommended that the board do nothing .  I think it would probably have been more appropriate for several people to have reviewed the petition and made recommendations to the board.  If any of those reading this message agree, I would request you write the HPS president and request he have at least four others review the petition and make recommendations to the board.   The four should have no recognized position supporting  the validity of the LNTH.  I'd be interested in knowing if any of you do so.  Al Tschaeche xat@alum.mit.edu

  ----- Original Message -----

  From: Ted Rockwell

  To: Charles Pennington

  Cc: Jim Muckerheide ; Rad-Sci-L ; RADSAFE ; owner-rad-sci-l@WPI.EDU

  Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 12:43 PM

  Subject: RE: The Realism Project

  Charlie:

  You're right!  This is clearly a deliberate effort to discredit all the good LDR work.  The new ICRP recommendations are another.  And the Taiwanese government is apparently determined to obfuscate the clear meaning of the irradiated apartment dwellers.  We should be working to overcome such regressive efforts.

  This is why I feel the Realism Project is important.  Its purpose is not to create a PR campaign, but to work internally to root out all the unrealistic premises that have crept into our analyzes and from there into our policies, rules and practices.  When we finally have a clear description of the scientific

  facts, then it will be much easier to correct bad info.

  Thanks for your input.

  Ted Rockwell