Re: Fw: Epidemiology Epedemic

Jerry,

Thanks for passing this along.  It is very interesting

reading.  Conincidentally, I am reading Marilun vos

Savant's "The Power of Logical Thinking"  which has

many excellent examples of how our thinking can

mislead us.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312139853/qid=1088968814/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-8945587-4661468?v=glance&s=books

I think there are two facets that need to be

considered.  First, there is a need for some sort of

guidance in our lives.  We all want to know about what

is good for us.  That is why there are a lot of

followers of astrology, beliefs in aliens (who will

save us), etc.  Science seems to offer a lot.  Before

WW II, and probably even today, there is a belief that

scientists should guide government and our society.

However, there is limits to what we know and can

determine.  Part of this is the faith in numbers.  The

more digits, the better result. The smaller the P

value the better the study.  The P value only speaks

to the reliability of the numbers, not to the source

of the numbers.  That is, if the sampling size is too

small or biased, the statistics may be impressive but

the results may be worthless.  People love numbers,

but may not understand what is behind them.

Second, I think that may of the researchers them

selves put too much emphasis on the work.  This is

probably due to the emphasis on "publish or perish."

I would look at the article by Brenner, et. al.,

"Estimated risks of radiation-induced fatal cancer

from pediatric CT," AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001

Feb;176(2):289-96.

http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/abstract/176/2/289

As stated in the abstract:

". . . Estimated lifetime cancer mortality risks

attributable to the radiation exposure from a CT in a

1-year-old are 0.18% (abdominal) and 0.07% (head)-an

order of magnitude higher than for adults-although

those figures still represent a small increase in

cancer mortality over the natrual background rate. .

."

The question that should be asked is, can these

increases in risk be determine?  If not, all we have

is an ability to estimate an unreliable conclusion.

Yet, this article sparked a tremendous amount of

interest in radiology and medicine.

I am sure others can cite similar studies.

--- jjcohen <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:

> [...]

=== message truncated ===

=====

"To be persuasive, we must be believable,

To be believable, we must be credible,

To be credible, we must be truthful."

Edward R. Murrow

-- John