Re: " Court rejects group's challenge, letting WIPP shipments continue "

Does anyone besides me think that five years is taking

too long to resolve these cases?

--- "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@AECL.CA> wrote:

> NUCLEONICS WEEK JULY 8, 2004

> Court rejects group's challenge, letting WIPP

> shipments continue

> A federal court last week dismissed an environmental

> group's claim that

> transuranic waste shipments to the Waste Isolation

> Pilot Plant (WIPP)

> violated the National Environmental Policy Act

> (NEPA) process, allowing

> those shipments to continue.

> The U.S. District Court of New Mexico's June 30

> decision ends court

> consideration of a five-year-old lawsuit against

> DOE. The group, Citizens

> for Alternatives to Radioactive Dumping (CARD),

> filed the case two days

> before WIPP received its first transuranic waste

> shipment March 26, 1999.

> The transuranic waste repository is carved out of an

> ancient salt formation

> outside Carlsbad, N.M.

> According to CARD, the disposal facility posed a

> risk to the public health

> and safety and to the environment.

> However, the court noted that CARD had not proved

> its claim and NEPA

> required that DOE consider conflicting opinions on

> WIPP but that the act

> didn't preclude the department from proceeding as

> planned.

=====

"To be persuasive, we must be believable,

To be believable, we must be credible,

To be credible, we must be truthful."

Edward R. Murrow

-- John