Re: In-flight radiation doses

>From: <brickner@zahav.net.il>

>Well, The last Concord plane has been grounded already, so my remark is of

>theoretical value

>only (if any...). I can't understand the reason why those Concords were

>ordered to lower

>altitude in the event of a solar flare. While  changing altitude from about

>80000 feet to 39000

>feet, lowering the exposure to half the dose per unit of time, they had to

>cut the speed and

>doubling the flight (=exposure)time . The net change in radiation exposure

>would be about 0.I

>have raised that question to FAA men during the IRPA 2000 they gave me a

>twisted answer that the

>most logical part of it was that it only happaned once and that Concord

>flights are phasing out

>anyway...

>Dov (Dubi) Brickner MD

>Beer-Sheva       ISRAEL

Hello.  It seems that you are assuming the density of the atmosphere is

constant.  That is an invalid assumption, and the difference between 39000

feet and 80000 feet is far more than a factor of two, I think.  Probably

closer to a factor of 100.

But

http://www.concorde-jet.com/e_specificites.htm

says the maxium altitude of the Concorde is 63000 feet.

Regards,

Jim

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you. When the driver in the adjacent

lane signals to get over, slow down. Smile and say "hi" to the folks you

pass on the sidewalk. Give blood. Volunteer.

Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in

Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx