Re: Al Qaida Nukes in the USA

Jim,

    Regardless of the height of the detonation, the effects of the residual radioactivity would be relatively minor compared to the early effects due to blast, shock wave, heat, etc. Unless, of course, you buy into the crap put out by NCRP, EPA, etc. regarding LNT, and low-dose effects in general.   Jerry

  ----- Original Message -----

  From: James Barnes

  To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

  Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 7:18 AM

  Subject: Re: Al Qaida Nukes in the USA

  >>> I wonder if the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki realize that their cities will still be "unlivable" for another ~950 years?

  Regarding the "unlivability" issue, we should recall that the Hiroshima/Nagasaki detonations occurred about 1500 feet off the ground.  It was not a surface burst, and therefore fallout was not a major issue.

  A terrorist detonation would very likely be a surface burst from a concealed weapon.  The fallout issue would be much different in that scenario.

  The "1,000 year" statement is the kind of marketing tripe that sells books.  But there would be an unpleasant cleanup that would have to be performed, and it is likely that there would be sections (blocks) of the attacked city that would become unusuable for many years.

  Jim Barnes