Re: MEDHP-SEC: Question about radiation exposure and emp

On 21 Jul 2004 at 17:20, Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS) wrote:

> A radiation worker is being assigned duties by the licensee that is

> resulting in increasing doses of radiation.  Several times during

> the year he had to explain in writing an increase in exposure to the

> RSO. Still, increased duties are being assigned, and exposure values

> increase.  Before the end of the year, the exposure values exceed

> 5000 mrem (50 mSv).  The worker is removed from radiation-related

> duties, and assigned other work to do.  Now he is facing a reduction

> in pay and possible firing.

Total lack of dose management, utilizing the appropriate resources.

When I was with the utility world, the common practice was to run

daily ALARA reports that displayed dose by worker category in

descending order. The appropriate steps are taken to assign work

orders in order to spread the dose, and minimize giving all the dose

to a select few.

IF what you say is true, there is no apparent management oversight,

and, the fact that this worker my be fired, I think an attorney

should

be consulted, whereby the worker can show company negligence, that

affects his livelihood.

A sad story.

------------------------------------

Sandy Perle

Sr. Vice President, Technical Operations

Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.

3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sperle@dosimetry.com

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/