Badge Readings Part 2

Thanks to all who have replied to my first post. Here is a little more

information. Disclaimer: When reading the badge readings below, hold your

breath and let it out slowly. Anyway, the two individuals that the subject

of this line of communication are Radiologists. The Landauer badge was

provided by me (the hospital) and the GDS badge was issued by their

Physician's group. I was actually unaware that they had a badge because I

was asked to provide one for them. Here are the exposure numbers:

Physician #1      Landauer Reading = 627 mrem ; GDS Reading = 108 mrem

(Landauer reported this was a Static Exposure)

Physician #2      Landauer Reading = 652 mrem ; GDS Reading = 382 mrem

(Landauer reported this was a Dynamic Exposure)

None of the readings have the EDE2 correction applied. The two things that

standout are (1) The Landauer readings are significantly much higher than

the GDS readings; (2) The readings are not consistent. Obviously one reason

could be that the  radiologists are not in fact wearing both badges in the

same location every time they are around radiation. We (meaning I) have had

problems with high badges readings for a couple of years now. This has been

brought to the attention of the RSC. The EDE2 correction has pretty much

eliminated the reportable readings. But the high 'raw' readings are still

there. The usual suspects are the usual subjects - Cardiologists,

Radiologists and Rad Techs working in fluoro. I wouldn't cite quality

control on Landauer's part right now as it is the same people getting high

readings - QC would show random high readings.

Is there any data that shows Luxel over responds significantly at higher

exposures - a nonlinear response to exposure?

I have been contacted by reps from both Landauer and GDS as well as a 3rd

company. So at least they are responsive.

Jeffrey A. Garrett, MS, DABR

Chief Physicist

Mississippi Baptist Medical Center

1225 North State Street