RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

OK, I guess I should clarify by what I meant when I said the suits would

pay them a visit.

All the technical and regulatory comments are correct, the patient is

released from care and the stuff is not under license anymore.  That is

our world.  But the landfills don't have to take the material, some

cooperate and let the identification process occur on their property and

will bury it away from people and staff knowing about the short decay

time.   But other landfills don't cooperate.  One ends up with a truck

that is out of service (which costs the company money), staff time is

diverted to fill out the DOT exemption paperwork and conduct the surveys

(or a consultant has to be found who can do it quickly), the truck has

to go somewhere to have the load checked, and the offending material has

to go somewhere for the decay period.  When I said suits, I meant bean

counters more than lawyers.  These alarms cause expenditures of time and

money that may not be proportional to the risk involved, but

nonetheless, it happens.  The trash companies and the landfill operators

have their own liabilities and concerns that are not always congruent

with ours.

Enough on this thread.

PVE

>>> "Flanigan, Floyd" <Floyd.Flanigan@nmcco.com> 08/20/04 07:52AM >>>

The radiological half life of I-131 is only about 8 days. It should be

at unnoticeable levels in a relatively short period of time. Isotopes of

this nature are used for medical applications on a regular basis and to

my knowledge, once a patient is released from the hospital, there are no

regulations which place controls on the disposition of the resultant

contaminated waste which the patient generates. As an example of the low

level of concern for this particular isotope, cheese made from milk

contaminated with I-131 may be sold at market theoretically since the

aging process for cheese is longer than the time it takes for the Iodine

to decay to a low enough level to fly under the proverbial radar. I

would not be concerned in this case.

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.