RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

There is an intereseting statement about instructions

given to patients receiving radioactive material upon

release from medical care:

"NRC does not intend to enforce patient compliance

with the instructions nor is it the licensee.s

responsibility to do so."

See page U-6 in NUREG 1556, Vol 9 "Program-Specific

Guidance About Medical Use Licenses" at

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1556/v9/

--- "Stankewitsch, Brian T."

http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/types/thyroid/

> > > With regard to at home care, the precautions she

> > is

> > > asked to take are to ensure that exposures to

> the

> > > public and family members as the I-131 decays.

> > She

> > > should have been given a date as to when she no

> > longer

> > > needs to follow these precautions.

> > > The precautions you discussed with probably

> > provide

> > > minimal protect to you.  Potassium iodine would

> > > protect your thyroid from uptake of radioiodine.

> > > However, patients do not excrete significant

> > amounts

> > > of iodine.  It is bound to the remanant throid

> > tissue;

> > > proper hand washing and sanitary activities,

> e.g.,

> > > using separate eating utensils, precludes the

> > spread

> > > of contamination.

> > > The use of a leaded apron will provide no

> benefits

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist