RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

Maybe it is about time that the regulators consider

the cost outweigh the risk, and consider allowing

landfills to receive and dispose of short-lived

radioactive waste from medical treatments.

--- Gerald Nicholls <Gerald.Nicholls@dep.state.nj.us>

wrote:

> The analogy with cheese isn't really applicable.

> Some patients now

> leave hositals following nuclear medicine procedures

> with millicurie

> levels of iodine.  This is excreted in urine, feces

> and perspiration.

> Many of these patients are elderly and suffer from

> incontinence and/or

> bowel problems.  Most home care givers aren't

> equipped or trained to

> hold wound dressing, diapers, etc. in the patient's

> home for decay and

> hence the materials wind up in municipal trash.

> Many landfills and incinerators now have radiation

> monitors installed

> and a soiled diaper contains more than enough

> activity to activate the

> alarm, even inside a filled garbage truck.  The

> alarms are typically set

> at 2X to 3X background (20 to 50 microR/hour).  Most

> of these facilities

> do not have gamma spectrometry equipment available

> on site or staff

> trained in its use.  Hence, when the monitor alarms,

> a visit from a

> state regulatory program representative or a

> consultant is necessary to

> indentify the material and assure the landfill or

> incerator operator

> that the waste can be safely held for decay or

> disposed of immediately.

> As Phil Egidi pointed out, sometimes it is necessary

> to dump a truckfull

> of municipal waste and search through it to find and

> identify the item

> that triggered the alarm.  That can be truly

> problematic for a fully

> loaded truck that has sat in the sun for several

> days awaiting

> evaluation.

> New Jersey's regulatory program typically receives

> 80 to 100 calls per

> year regarding radioactive materials and about one

> half of them involve

> I-131.  Responding to these calls takes resources

> away from more

> important and relevant work.  Also, the loss of the

> truck (sometimes for

> up to a week) and staff time to deal with the

> problem are signifcant

> costs to the waste hauler.

> It would be far better for the hospital or physician

> to provide

> instructions to the patient and home care givers on

> how to deal properly

> with contaminated materials, even if that ultimately

> leads to the

> materials being returned to the hospital and held

> for decay.

> As far as a homeowner being billed for the costs of

> this work, I'm not

> aware of that ever happening but I know that it has

> been threatened by

> municipal waste haulers.  I think the primary reason

> it hasn't occurred

> is the difficulty in identifying the source of the

> contaminated waste.

> [...]

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist