Re: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

An interesting issue is that radioactive human waste

is not regulated, but radioactive animal waste is, or

should be.

http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/types/thyroid/

> > > With regard to at home care, the precautions she

> is

> > > asked to take are to ensure that exposures to

> the

> > > public and family members as the I-131 decays.

> She

> > > should have been given a date as to when she no

> > > longer

> > > needs to follow these precautions.

> > > The precautions you discussed with probably

> provide

> > > minimal protect to you.  Potassium iodine would

> > > protect your thyroid from uptake of radioiodine.

> > > However, patients do not excrete significant

> amounts

> > > of iodine.  It is bound to the remanant throid

> > > tissue;

> > > proper hand washing and sanitary activities,

> e.g.,

> > > using separate eating utensils, precludes the

> spread

> > > of contamination.

> > > The use of a leaded apron will provide no

> benefits

> > > protecting yourself from radiation emitted by

> your

> > > friend. The radiation emitted by I-131 is high

> > > energy,

> > > and the leaded apron protects against low energy

> > > x-ray

> > > radiation.  The best way to protect yourself is

> > > stand or some distance from your friend, e.g., 3

> > > 6

> > > feet, and not spend significant amounts of time.

> > > would avoid spending whole evenings watching TV

> with

> > > her.

> > > It is also important to keep in mind that the

> > > recommendation are precautionary.  No harmful

> > > effects

> > > have ever been shown to occur to caregivers who

> have

> > > worked with therapy patients.

> normally

> health

> was

> every 6

> irradiation

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist