re: medical waste

This has been enlightening to me. It occurred to me.....   From a

regulatory standpoint, I believe they wouldn't be trying to prosecute the

individual as a licensee. They would prosecute at the state (potentially

the Federal) level just like if the person was unlawfully dumping any other

waste stream considered hazardous. Dunno about your areas, but I live near

Oak Ridge. They don't want you dumping tree limbs over 4 foot long. ;)

I can imagine what it would be like if a private municipal waste handler

here had to spend a few man-days (not hours) bringing the dump back into

compliance after a load tested hot. Someone would be paying. I think that

the dump would want to keep the hospital as a defendant, because they have

deeper pockets, but the saving grace would be in their policy and what they

gave to the patient in writing in reference to how to handle their wastes

and potentially contaminated items. Whether they would collect or not, I

suspect, would depend a great deal on how the local media spun the issue.

I wasn't aware there were medical therapies that caused the patient to

remain active for a week.

-Shawn