Reuters: Brazil police seize black market uranium, thorium

Not that I think this is any big deal, but I thought it was interesting

enough to post to the list.

Best Regards,

David Lawrence

Brazil police seize black market uranium, thorium

SAO PAULO, Brazil, Aug 24 (Reuters) - Police have seized a load of black

market uranium and thorium taken from a secret mine in the jungle in northern

Brazil, an official said on Tuesday.

Based on a lead from an informant, federal police seized 1,320 pounds (600

kg) of ore containing the radioactive metals in the back of a pickup truck about

75 miles (120 km) from Macapa, capital of Amapa state, near the mouth of the

Amazon River.

"We got a fax from the laboratory in Rio de Janeiro yesterday saying the

cargo had significant levels of uranium and thorium," officer Luiz Carlos told

Reuters, adding that the truck was seized last month.

Samples of the material were sent to another lab in Minas Gerais, which is

expected to report on the concentration of the radioactive material in ore

material, Carlos said.

The uranium was not enriched which means it would not serve as material to

build a nuclear bomb, but pending further tests, it was unclear whether it could

be used in a radioactive "dirty" bomb. The uranium would have various

high-tech applications in guidance devices and shielding material.

Thorium is expected to be used as a nuclear reactor fuel in the future but is

not widely used at the moment. It is also used in portable lamps and in

various metal alloys.

Samples of the material were sent to another lab in Minas Gerais, which is

expected to report on the concentration of the radioactive material in ore

material, Carlos said.

"Based on confessions from some of those involved, we estimate that the owner

of the cargo was expecting to get over 1 million reais ($330,000) on the

black market for it," he said.

The investigation was still going on. A man believed to be one of those

responsible for trafficking the illegal material fled from the truck when it was

stopped by police.

"The location of the mine is still unknown. We believe it is in the jungle in

the Serra de Navio region," Carlos said.

"This is the first case that we've run across in the state, and I believe in

Brazil."

Brazil is rich in various metals including uranium, which is considered

government property and is strictly regulated.

Natural uranium is sufficiently radioactive to expose a photographic plate in

an hour or so. Much of the internal heat of the earth is thought to be

attributable to the presence of uranium and thorium.

Uranium on the earth's surface, not as rare as once thought, is now

considered to be more plentiful than mercury or silver.

08/24/04 12:19 ET