From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of Nathan Russell

Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:03 AM

To: Michael McNaughton; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: request for help with Wikipedia article

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:33:07 -0600, Michael McNaughton

<mcnaught@lanl.gov> wrote:

> At 08:04 PM 08/25/2004, Nathan Russell wrote:

> >I'm an editor (and sysop) of the free Wikipedia encyclopedia -

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/ -

> I find Wikipedia to be one of the most valuable resources on the internet

> for non-scientific subjects. On science, it is still growing. On health

> physics, it has barely begun. The subscribers to radsafe could make a very

> important contribution to Wikipedia. Please take a look at Wikipedia and

> learn more about it. The most amazing fact is how well the Wiki concept

> works; it restores my faith in humanity.

Thanks for the kind words.  We already have some content that I feel

is accurate (e.g. that LNT is not a good model), but on the Chernobyl

accident in particular - why does it seem like I can't find any

figures for the amount of activity released that are even close to

each other?

I've seen figures for the total from 2 to 12 EBq, and around 2-3 for

Cs137 alone.  Is it safe to assume that Cs137 is the majority of the

remaining activity?  I assume some C14 was generated in the moderator,

and a great deal of that made it into the atmosphere, but is that not

a significant source of contamination?

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/