Re: Hormetic Effects of Radiation should not be limited to cancer

Dr. Cohen,

Thanks for the information.  I would like to point out

that it is interesting, and unfortuante, no ranges of

values for either unexposed or exposed mice are given.

--- Bernard Cohen <blc+@PITT.EDU> wrote:

> goldinem@SONGS.SCE.COM wrote:

> In the discussion of hormetic effects, some folks

> say that "a low level of

> radiological stress may stimulate the immune

> system." Is there

> anylaboratory evidence to support such a claim?

>     ---How about the following:

> Effects of radiation on immune response.  Different

> columns are percent

> of response to various tests in unexposed mice to

> response in mice

> exposed as indicated [15]. PFC = plaque forming

> cell; MLC = mixed

> lymphocyte culture, used as  test of T-cell

> function; Con A =

> concanavalin-A,  lectin that stimulates

> T-lymphocytes; NK = natural

> killer cells which recognize and kill tumor cells;

> ADCC = anti-body

> dependent cell mediated cytotoxicity, which assists

> NK activity.

> Test                               2.5

> cGy                                 5 cGy

>        7.5cGy

> PFC Reaction             110

> 143                                         174

> MLC Reaction             109

> 133                                         122

> Reaction to Con A      191

> 155                                         530

> NK activity                    112

> 109                                         119

> ADCC Activity             109

> 128                                         132

> Ref. 15:  Liu SJ.  Multilevel mechanisms of

> stimulatory effect of low

> dose radiation on immunity. In: Sugahara T, Sagan

> LA, Aoyama T, ed. Low

> Dose Irradiation and Biological Defense Mechanisms.

> Amsterdam, Elsevier

> Science, 1992:225-232

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist