Re: Secrets of a Salty Survivor

It totally escapes me how studing the DNA of

Halobacterium will help humans.  Their DNA is not

organized at all like those of higher life forms.  If

I remember correctly, there are five copies of the DNA

stands for redundancy.

But, heh, if you get research money, go for it.

--- Joel Baumbaugh <baumbaug@NOSC.MIL> wrote:

> I thought that the story below might be of interest

> to those of us who

> "expose ourselves" for a living (and I don't mean

> the "flashers" out there

> w/raincoats)... LOL...

> Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)

> SSC-SD

> Std. disclaimers about my employer and my lack of

> taste...

> >NASA Science News for September 10, 2004

> >A microbe from the Dead Sea may hold the key to

> protecting astronauts from

> >one of the greatest threats they would face during

> a mission to Mars:

> >space radiation.

> >FULL STORY at

>http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/10sep_radmicrobe.htm?list533617

> >Science@NASA stories are available in Spanish at

> our sister site,

> >Ciencia@NASA <http://ciencia.nasa.gov/>.

> >---

=====

"A devotee of Truth may not do anything in deference to convention.  He must always hold himself open to correction, and whenever he discovers himself to be wrong he must confess it at all costs and atone for it."

Monhandas K. Gandhi, in "Autobiography"

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist