Dr Eric Voice

September 14, 2004 - Daily Record - Atomic doc does aged 80 - Ascots

scientist described as the most radioactive man on the planet will have to

be buried in a lead-lined coffin. Nuclear physicist Dr Eric Voice, who has

died at 80 after an illness, volunteered to be given injections of plutonium

to examine the effects of radioactivity on the body. He also inhaled

plutonium and his bodily waste had to be taken away by armoured car. He

could not be cremated. Dr Voice had said: 'The practicalities can be a bit

irksome, but I'm used to it. 'When I arrive at people's houses with a

carrier bag of bottles, people assume I've brought them a gift. 'When I

explain I can't use their facilities, their expressions are extremely

comical.' The Thurso-based expert was one of a dozen volunteers who signed

up as human guinea pigs in 1997. They took part in experiments tracking the

movement of plutonium in blood, bone and organs. Dr Voice worked at the

Dounreay nuclear complex in Caithness and, as part of his work, visited the

site of the Chernobyl disaster. He believed allowing his body to be filled

with plutonium would prove its safety.

Richard F. Orthen, CHMM

Senior Project Manager

Civil & Environmental Consultants, Inc.