Is it true? Austrian paper on Indian Point "entertainment show"

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

I read recently in the well reputated Austrian daily paper "Standard"

about the HBO show:

"At the cable-channel HBO there was on Wednesday a documentation, which

described detailed, what will (!!!!!) happen, if an assault would hit

the nuclear power plant "Indian Point", 35 Miles north of (New York):

this would result in 44 000 deaths within the first days and 500.000

deaths during the following ten years."

I wonder, whether this report is true.

If this really has been distributed on HBO I wonder, which people have

provided the background for these numbers. There was in 1986 the worst

ever and the worst imaginable nuclear accident in Chernobyl - the

reactor exploded, the core was exposed, the graphite burned for more

than 10 days, emitting all the time radionuclides. The outcome was -

unless you follow some "low-level" media with their claimed hundreds of

thousands of victims,  about 30 to 40 people who died of acute radiation

sickness, a lot of people, especially children were affected by I-131

intake and developed thyroid cancer. No leukaemia (unless you follow the

mentioned "low-level" media) was observed - how could it, concerning the

long time it might need. To my knowledge the thyroid cancers were

curable, which is no excuse, regarding the health detriment. As a

European I still refuse to downplay the Chernobyl accident, especially

regarding the social and psychological consequences. I just wonder, what

could be more disastrous than this really disastrous event. So regarding

the claimed content of the "show": "Cui bono" is the Latin expression -

"For whom are these messages of advantage?" Why are they distributed?

Isn't it (mis)used for political purposes, to frighten people and

influence them in their political decisions?

Finally: A programme which distributes such information cannot even be

regarded as entertainment.

Best regards,

Franz