AW: CAN CHEMICAL ENVIRONMENT AFFECT NUCLEAR PROPERTIES?

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

--

I am happy to say that I found my "Friedlander-Kennedy". It is a

translation (1962) of the fourth edition (1960) of "Nuclear and

Radiochemistry", John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.

It states on p.145: "... it should be possible to change the half-life

for an electron-capture process by chemical changes, which change the

electron density close to the nucleus. E. Segré and others have shown,

that this effect exists for Be-7, which decays by electron capture with

a half-life of 54 days; the half-life is for BeF2 0.08 percent longer

than for Be-metal." A footnote mentions a similar behaviour for the

isomeric transition of Tc-99m. The original literature has not been

cited, so I cannot tell about the time this was stated, but that it must

have been for more than 45 years is rather evident!

Nevertheless the approach mentioned below and the record of almost 1%

half-life change are interesting.

Best regards,

Franz