Re: Analysis of Food Irradiation Using TLD

Franz

I no longer have the original enquiry to Radsafe on this matter.  However I

would note thermoluminescence has been used to assess doses to some

foodstuffs such as spices which are irradiated to high (2.5 Mrad, 25 kGy)

doses to kill bacteria for food safety purposes. Within the spices are very

small quantities of inorganic minerals which can, after careful extraction,

be heated and made to yield a thermoluminescence signal. I am not aware of

the technique being used on a routine basis anywhere but it has certainly

been investigated as an independent means of determining whether foodstuffs

like spices have been irradiated.

Regards

Andrew McEwan