AW: Analysis of Food Irradiation Using TLD

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-(0)699-1168-1319

Andrew,

The original question was about "TLD and associated methods". While I

still insist that TLD (Thermoluminescence Dosimetry) is no method to

find out about whether something has been irradiated I clearly wrote

that this can be verified by using thermoluminescence, which clearly

makes a difference. During irradiation radicals are formed, which

exhibit thermoluminescence when heated and not recombining for instance

in water containing food. This is not restricted to minerals in spices,

seafood, mushrooms, other food, but is used on any dry material

associated with food like bones in chicken or fish. Your comment on the

possibility of measuring the original dose used for sterilisation is

partly correct: It needs very careful calibration and I do not know

whether the problem of fading - which is a function of time - ever has

been solved. Especially spices may be kept for a relatively long time,

so if the time of irradiation was not known (and which company would

tell you, if they claim that the spices have not been irradiated!) no

determination of the original dose would be possible. With other

foodstuff like lettuce exposed to a too high irradiation dose would

yield an organic slurry. Irradiating deboned meat, muscle or fat tissue

will form certain characteristic fatty acids which can be determined by

gas chromatography. Chemoluminescence has also been used for

determination of irradiation, but thermoluminescence proved to be easier

to handle and more reliable. Starch (like in potatoes or similar

foodstuff will be degraded to a certain extent, so a slurry of minced

food will show a lower viscosity. Certain vitamins like ascorbic acid

will be destroyed in fresh fruits and their depletion can be used for

irradiation detection. Potatoes, onions and similar vegetables or fruits

will not sprout after irradiation (this is what they are irradiated for)

etc. etc. etc.

I have studied the possibility of detecting irradiation of food very

carefully between about 1989 and 1995, even visiting the then leading

laboratory at the research establishment in Muenchen-Neuherberg in

Germany on my own costs and collected tens of kilos of literature. When

I came so far as to establish such a laboratory within the framework of

my work for the Federal Institute for Food Control and Research in my

department another department was assigned the work... (They needed a

laboratory to award to somebody the title of "Head of Department".) So

this is the reason why I still remember quite a lot about this topic and

why I know that it needs a terrible lot of first theoretical and then

practical work to establish a laboratory for the detection of food

irradiation.

Regarding your comment on use on a routine basis I can tell you that

about 1995 the Germans were using thermoluminescence for the detection

of irradiation of spices in a lot of their food quality control network

on a real routine basis and the German authorities conducted a large

number of intercomparison runs for certification of their laboratories.

Though the detection methods seem to be well established now the battle

over "irradiation yes or no" seems to be more or less over. As far as I

know, the USA has lifted its ban for certain food, even the European

Union has allowed certain food to be irradiated, from the viewpoint of

public health the permit for spices is probably the most important one.

Therefore interest in detection of irradiation has much declined.

Finally a funny, but real story: In the late 90's my former institute

received several packages of Turkish frog legs, which were declared as

having been irradiated. The institute found out that they were  n o t

irradiated. Though irradiation was then forbidden the import company was

charged because of false declaration!

Best regards,

Franz

I enjoy my retirement, working a lot on radiation protection projects I

am interested in. Hope you do the same. Unfortunately there will hardly

be another Mururoa project.

However

> would note thermoluminescence has been used to assess doses to some

> foodstuffs such as spices which are irradiated to high (2.5 Mrad, 25

kGy)

> doses to kill bacteria for food safety purposes. Within the spices are

> very

> small quantities of inorganic minerals which can, after careful

> extraction,

> be heated and made to yield a thermoluminescence signal. I am not

aware of

> the technique being used on a routine basis anywhere but it has

certainly

> been investigated as an independent means of determining whether

> foodstuffs

> like spices have been irradiated.

> Regards

> Andrew McEwan

from

> > gamma-radiation, exposing certain material to radiation. You cannot

> > detect food irradiation with that method, unless you expose a

> > TLDosemeter together with the food in order to determine the dose -

> > well, and then you know, that it was irradiated anyway.

> > What are "associated methods"? Could you clarify?

> > Thermoluminescence phenomena can be used to detect irradiation of

food

> > and other material. For various food other methods like

> > gas-chromatography, viscosity or various biological methods might be

> > applicable. There is plenty of literature on that.

> > I recommend that you consult the relevant literature to find out,

what

> > you actually want - your request for "TLD and associated methods"

gives

> > me the impression that you do not know it. Starting the business of

> > finding irradiated food from scratch needs a "little" more than

asking

> > at RADSAFE whether somebody has "experience with Analysis of Food

> > Irradiation using TLD and associated methods", not to talk about

> > becoming an accredited laboratory!

> > Franz

Using

> > TLD

> > > and associated methods?  If so, would you please respond to my

email

> > > address.  Thank you.

> > > Best Regards,

> > > Joe Rotunda