RE: recommended dose limits to radiation workers by NCRP and ICRPin 1934.

Mike Stabin wrote: " The highest dose limit that I am aware

of, from the early years, was 50 R/year (Mutscheller and ICRP, 1920's

and 30's)."

	The ICRP was founded in 1928 and what is now the NCRP was

founded in 1929. Both organizations made recommendations for

radiation workers in 1934.

	The NCRP recommended 0.1 r/day (~ 250 mGy/y assuming a 5 day week)

	The ICRP recommended 0.2 r/day    (~ 500 mGy/y assuming a 5 day week)

In 1980 Dr. Lauriston Taylor wrote:        " No one has been

identifiably injured by radiation while working within the first

numerical standards set by the NCRP and the ICRP in 1934.The theories

about people being injured have still not led to the demonstration of

injury and, if considered as facts by some, must only be looked upon

as figments of the imagination." ( NON-SCIENTIFIC INFLUENCES ON

RADIATION PROTECTION STANDARDS AND PRACTICE  by Lauriston S. Taylor,

ScD  Health Physics 1980;32, pp 851-874.)

	The article: Berrington, A, Darby, SC, Weiss, HA, Doll, R.

100 years of observation on British radiologists: mortality from

cancer and other causes 1897-1997 Br J Radiol. 74, 507-519 (2001)

shows that after 1920 UK radiologists never had a statistically

significant excess of cancers compared to other UK MDs.

	See my article:  Cameron, J.R. Longevity is the most

appropriate measure of health effects of radiation,  Radiology 229,

14-16 (2003).  Cameron, J.R. Longevity is the most appropriate

measure of health effects of radiation,  Radiology 229, 14-16 (2003).

http://www.medphysics.wisc.edu/~jrc/art_longevity.htm

For a different view of health effects of moderate dose rate radiation.

	Aunt Minnie didn't consider it news worthy!

  Best wishes,

John Cameron