Re: recommended dose limits to radiation workers by NCRP and ICRPin1934.

John.

    In 1987, I presented a paper titled "Rethinking ALARA" at an  ANS

meeting. In this paper I reviewed the history of radiation standards

including pretty much the same information you have summarized and noting

that the Manhattan Project during WW-2 was conducted using the 1934 NCRP

guidance - with no apparent problem. From this assessment, I couldn't help

but wonder:

1) What would have happened (in terms of health consequences) if   the

1934 guidance had been maintained until now?

2) What would be the current status of the Health Physics profession if the

1934 standards had not been ratcheted down  and the ALAP and ALARA policies

were  never implemented?

3) What effect, if any, did the economic self-interest of radiation safety

professionals have upon the determination of radiation standards?

I know that these questions cannot be answered definitively, but it is

interesting to

conjecture. Any thoughts?                 Jerry