RE: Liquid Scintillation

Russ and All,

The Cl-36 lsc standard is probably less than the license exempt quantity for

Cl-36. As a licensee you can transfer it to a person who does not have a

license, say yourself or your department head. Then, since they do not have

a licensee they are exempt from 10 CFR 20, including the disposal

regulations. (Title10 CFR Part 20 applies only to licensees.)  Therefore,

they may dispose of the exempt quantity in any way they wish: e.g., trash

can, sewer, municipal waste, biomedical waste, hazardous chemical waste

broker, etc. Since it is toluene, I recommend the latter.

If my logic is incorrect wrt NRC and Agreement State regulations, please

correct me.

Best regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP