Re: Revision of Atomic Energy Act - NRC to Regulate Accelerator Produced?

In a message dated 10/26/2004 3:57:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,

michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu writes:

Given  the sponsor of the bill, I suspect other motivations. Barbara

Hamrick is on  the Legislation & Regulation Committee - Barbara what is

known about  this, and what is the HPS position on it, if any?

This actually has been on the back burner for a long time.  The NRC  was

asked to look at the issue back in 2001.  It was written up in SECY  01-0224,

which I can't find on the NRC site anymore, although I haven't checked  ADAMS.

The bill contains the two primary statements that I recall in the  old SECY

paper; i.e., adding: discrete sources of radium (e.g., aircraft dials  and the

like), and accelerator-produced material that is extracted for  commercial use

(e.g., F-18 from a cyclotron for distribution to PET imaging  centers).  The

mechanism would be to amend the definition of byproduct  material to add these

two types of material.

The HPS Legislation and Regulation Committee is looking at this  legislation,

and may propose amendments, based on concerns about the loss of  some sites

to states outside the Rocky Mountain and Northwest Compacts for  disposal of

radium, if passed as written.  The NRC proposed amendments in  an attempt to

cure this, and those proposed amendments are contained in the  9/14/04 testimony

at:

_http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/congress-docs/congress-testimony/2004/_

(http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/congress-docs/congress-testimony/2004/) .

The States will also be looking at this through the Conference of Radiation

Control Program Directors and the Organization of Agreement States, as well as

 on an individual basis.

I am not sure what the current motivation for bringing this to the fore

right now is; however, I might speculate that it has some "security" nexus, as

almost everything does nowadays.

Barbara