Re: Correction: 0.026 mR/hr 1' from 120lb KCl, 2x background

No, the probe has a plastic cap that fits over its flat active surface area

(as protection for its thin mylar membrane). That cap is also thick enough

to stop all alpha, and all but high energy betas. The cap was in place. No

other radiation sources in the lab. Remember this is chemical fertilizer,

not natural soil. The lab MCA with detector saw the K-40 peak, but apart

from spurrious background events in other channels, that's about it.