re: National Lead Company

I happened, purely by chance to find out about the National Lead dump site in

Albany, New York.

I was getting my car fixed and two mechanics at the place which is a short

distance away from this site off Central Avenue, had suffered kidney problems

which led to renal failure and kidney transplants.

Their problems began occurring almost simultaneously.

I am a reporter who started her 24 year career in Orange County, New York.

There are toxic waste sites in just about every area of that county.

Including:

The Pena Luna Landfill in Warwick, New York. Neither the state nor the feds

knew what was in there, so they left it alone.

And people around there got cancer.

 The Merion Blue Grass "Sod" Farm in Waywayanda, New York where the crops are

root crops and the runoff from the Merion Blue Grass "Sod" farm..leached into

the farmland. The clean "fill" to grow the sod was a mixture of human waste

and God knows what else. A couple of state legislators did a walk through and

found a lipstick case, and a tampon. They had been used and discarded.

And the people living around there got cancer.

The Al Turi Landfill in Goshen, New York situated over a major aquifer. It

was later to become one of the reasons for a state law banning dumpsites over

aquifers.

And the people living around there got cancer.

The Town of Wallkill..where the most polluted well in New York State history

was found. Someone had used an empty lot to dump tetrachlorethylene.

The state found out about the dumping because a homeowners PVC pipes began

disintegrating. The plumber asked him what he had been throwing down the drain

and showed him the pipes. The plumber said he had never seen anything like it.

That's because the water coming out of the tap was almost pure

tetrachorethylene.

The state began cordoning off the danger areas, and the perimeter kept moving

out further and further.

And the people around there got cancer.

Now, in Albany New York a couple of miles  from the NL dump site, people are

getting cancer. One man told me he lost five relatives ..he just buried

another one last week. He was 50 years old. He died of cancer.

And I am told there are children with cancer.

I went to the site. It was after dark, but the gates were open. I saw huge

piles of dirt. The piles were in the shape of pefectly  inverted cone.

 I saw a tank that said radioactive hazard. I saw a roped off area that said

"CONTAMINATED SITE" .

Do you have any information on this particular site? Once again, the location

for the NL dumping site is on Osborne Road..just off Central Avenue in

Albany, New York. The plant shut down in the 80's. They began laying people off and

then, the neighbors said then one day National Lead just packed up and left.

The dump site was left for the gov't to clean.

I am told there are barrels buried there  that can't be taken out and have to

be encased in lead or covered with lead.

One man who worked at a nearby tire place made frequent stops at the NL plant

because he said the chips from the nuclear activated fusion rods kept

piercing the company truck tires.

The man said he had to wear a badge when he went in and was told.."If that

badge begins to turn color, get the hell out of here."

That man told me a former co-worker at the tire place used to go there too,

and he has cancer.

And will you please explain what a FUSRAP RESTRICTED AREA ACCESS REGISTER is,

what it's used for and what the acronym FUSRAP stands for?

Thank-you,

Sistine Lezon

State Capital Bureau Chief

WCBS-880 News Radio

New York City

You can reach me by calling the studio which is in Albany: (518) 465-9839

Or my cell phone: (914) 456 0533. I have that with me 24/7.

e-mailing: sistine600@aol.com

or writing to me:

Sistine Lezon

75 Willett Street (apt. 1M)

Albany, New York 12210

(P.S. If you happen to pass by the Preventive Disease Department, please tell

Dr. Bill Schaffner that Sistine said "Hello".)