From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu] On Behalf Of Stabin, Michael

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 5:21 PM

To: jjcohen; John Jacobus; franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT;

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Stakeholders

>Definition of "Stakeholder":  Anyone who has an opinion

And opinions are like armpits - everyone has a couple and they usually

stink. Yucca is not politicized at the national level in this election. It

was more nationally political during Clinton's time, as he fought it in the

administration and the courts when he could. The governor of Nevada,

thinking mostly about keeping gambling tourism up, nothing really to do with

the health and welfare of the citizens, has politicized it. And it may be in

discussion with the state pols, I haven't heard until just now. It is a

shame when a truly dangerous situation, namely overloaded quantities of

spent fuel on power plant sites, is allowed to continue, instead of a

solution that is pretty well accepted as sound from an engineering and

scientific standpoint. This is truly political, I agree. But all of

radiation protection is not so political; most of where we sit today is

based on a century of maturation of our thinking, with purely political

concerns sometimes imposing an additional constraint.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068