Re: TLDs as Anti-Theft Devices?

Stu,

Yes, at Dominion stations (North Anna, Surry and Millstone), we routinely

allow workers and staff to wear their dosimetry home.  There are other

nuclear power plants that allow workers to take home their TLDs but I don't

know how prevalent it is.  It may be just some nuclear power plants that

are doing this.  From the emails I've been getting concerning this subject,

some (e.g., DOE types) appear shocked at this practice.  Just for your

info, we did do an extensive background study in workers homes prior to

implementing this practice.  Results showed greater background variability

than the station TLD storage location but individual TLD element averages

were about the same.

Maybe some others can weigh in to tell us if they're currently allowing

workers to take their TLDs home and the industry represented (e.g., NPP,

DOE, Hospital, etc.)? It would be interesting to see how prevalent this

practice is throughout various industries.

John M. Sukosky, CHP

Dominion

Surry Power Station

(757)-365-2594 (Tieline: 8-798-2594)

                      farbersa

                      <farbersa@optonline.ne        To:       John_Sukosky@DOM.COM, radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                      t>                            cc:

                      Sent by:                      Subject:  Re: TLDs as Anti-Theft Devices?

                      owner-radsafe@list.van

                      derbilt.edu

                      11/04/2004 04:14 PM

                      Please respond to

                      farbersa

Hi:

Another question. Does this facility routinely let workers or staff wear

their dosimetry home and is this a common practice at other plants??

Stu Farber

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/