From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu] On Behalf Of John_Sukosky@DOM.COM

Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 5:09 PM

To: Rick Orthen

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: TLDs as Anti-Theft Devices?

Rick,

Thanks for the response. The filters are thin 0.5 inch x 0.5 inch of copper, aluminum and plastic.  The phosphor elements appear to be embedded in a 1.25 inch x 1.75 inch x 0.062 inch aluminum plate.  The TLD doesn't appear to contain anything unusual compared to thousands of other items that you can buy in Wal-Mart or Office Max and pass through the anti-theft sensing device every day.

To be sure that the TLD is really setting off the alarm, I'm going to have to try it myself. I may even have to get with this guy so I can actually witness this event as it happens.

John M. Sukosky, CHP

Dominion

Surry Power Station

(757)-365-2594 (Tieline: 8-798-2594)

                      "Rick Orthen"

                      <rorthen@cecinc.c        To:       <John_Sukosky@DOM.COM>, <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                      om>                      cc:

                      11/04/2004 04:21

                      PM

If there are any metallic filters in the TLD, it could trip the alarm. Retail anti-theft devices contain a strip of metal.

Rick

Richard F. Orthen, CHMM

Senior Project Manager

Civil & Environmental Consultants, Inc.

Four Triangle Lane, Suite 200

Export, PA  15632-9255

724/327-5200, ext. 231

www.cecinc.com

     communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If

     computer.