Sampling criteria?

I have a question for the PA folks who sampled after the Three Mile Island accident.   Also, for our European colleagues who sampled after Chernobyl.

How similar was this to a superfund sampling scheme during the short, medium, and long term sampling?

What I mean by this, was the sampling based on finding worst case contamination for exclusion zones, and shifted to an average contamination level or to a statistical based scheme?  What was the basis for selecting sampling locations?

I'm not asking for your protocols, just enough to bust a decision on a sampling course that appears to be based on superfund evaluation and release criteria.

Thanks for any input.

Zack A. Clayton

Ohio EPA - DERR

email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us