RE: Genetic Effects?

>honestly speaking, sometimes it is difficult to determine if the writer is

>questioning ionizing radiation effects on dna or ability to reach the

>sperm/egg dna or is expressing no belief in the genetic transfer mechanism.

I never questioned any of that.

1. I definitely believe that ionizing radiation can be the cause of point

mutations or chromosomal rearrangements (I have H. Muller's paper from 1927

about X-rays and mutations in Drosophila by the way).

2. I also definitely believe that these changes can reach the fertilized egg

as well as the ultimate individual.

3. I also believe that some mutations reach the population level but it is

probably very hard to detect for most genes (the human species' gene pool

probably mutates with an average of dozens of beneficial mutations every

single year - the frequency of negative mutations are probably at least 1000

billion times higher than that - I am interested in any references or solid

reasoning casting more light upon this aspect).

My point is about the strong _statistical_ selection pressure against most

alleles (mutated genes) that create a much lowered probability of survival

for each individual carrying such specific alleles. A mutation can never be

good or bad - it must have a genetic context (all other genetic material in

that same individual) as well as environmental context (first pointed out by

Dobzhansky around 1937). Some alleles with a negative fitness (after

embryonal stage and with relatively high penetrance as expressed) reach the

adult stage relatively easily.

I am interested in any statistically solid references showing that exposure

to ionizing radiation of humans caused mutations in the germ line that were

_expressed_ on a phenotype level in next generations.

>there is ample evidence that the human system will produce noncompetitive

>individuals repeatedly

I agree but one problem (all is not about point mutations) is to sort out if

the major cause may have been a recessive gene (negative fitness) that was

created 10 000 years ago and just by chance ended up in the wrong genetic

context (like for instance another homologous recessive gene - caused by

some particluar agent in the previous generation). To show this solid

statistics is necessary.

>occur. the references to dobzan, crow etc  are basically detailed math

>theory and refer to population genetics.

Dobzhansky was an experimentalist testing the mathematics theory. Crow's

PNAS paper I referred to: Just read it and lets discuss the details rather

than just refer to it as "math theory" (very little of equation stuff in it

- lots of thoughtful reading)! I have read six of Ernst Mayr's (I referred

to him as well) books on evolution and the species - never saw an equation

in any of his books. GL Stebbins was not a math theory person either. What

they, and GG Simpson (paleontologist) did was to bring together what could

be observed in nature or in experiments with what the math people (Fisher,

Haldane, Wright and a few others) came up with. This created a synthetic

understanding for the evolutionary theory (still being developed). I agree

that Crow and Kimura as well as some other recent workers did a lot of work

along the mathematical line - in particular the works on the "neutral

theory" by Kimura may be worth some reading (there was an article about that

in Scientific American - may be more than 20 years ago - must be easy to

find with Google).

>  pick up any medical genetics book and the genetics are clear for fimilial

>transfer through sexual reproduction.

I am not questioning any of that. My question is stricltly about mutations

caused by exposure to "mancreated" ionizing radiation and to what degree

that can be seen in future generations of humans.

>the paramecia do not actually have 36 sexes,

It was 34 but I should have written "34 possible sexes" (or 33 possible

opposite sexes) - besides the mathematical comment it was a joke which I

indicated with a :-).

Sorry about that. I keep my original writing at the end of this message.

There are about 28000 possible mating partners for Schizophyllum commune

(split-gilled mushroom) determined by two loci with more than 90 and more

than 300 respectively.

Some organisms switch between sexual and asexual production - lots to read

there with or without math.

 >is made: "Exposure to large amounts of ionizing radiation (on the order of

 >hundreds of times the natural exposure levels) increases the risk of. . .

 >genetic mutations that can be passed on to future generations."

Yes - but notice the word "CAN" in the last line. What does that mean in

terms of probabilities related to the next generation? The load we already

carry is typically much larger than anything you can induce on the level of

the individual. The only way to see it should reasonably be statistical on

_very large_ populations. I ask whether this has been detected on a

phenotype level in humans. If there are such references I want to read them

ASAP.

I give the evolution links & references again - the people I point at stood

for much of the important delevopment of the evolutionary theory during the

past century.

Finally, it may be of interest that the ICRP now - in its draft for new

recommendations - suggest lowering the weighting for gonads by 75 %.

My personal thoughts and ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall     bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/Science/evolution_links.html

>For species with more than two sexes the math must be extremely complex -

Paramecia have 34 different sexes (one opposite sex may be complicated

enough - even without math :-).