Re: Fwd: [graffis-l] Chernobyl disaster caused cancer cases in Sweden

At 12:34 PM 11/20/2004 -0500, Norm Cohen wrote:

>Contact: Anika Agebjörn

>anika@info.liu.se

>46-13-28-1334

>Swedish Research Council

>http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-11/src-cdc111904.php

>Study of development of cancer in seven Swedish counties establishes

>connection

>A statistically determined correlation between radioactive fallout from the

>Chernobyl accident and an increase in the number of cases of cancer in the

>exposed areas in Sweden is reported in a study by scientists at Linköping

>University, Örebro University, and the County Council of Västernorrland

>County.

If the prevailing wind patterns would bring fallout from Chernobyl to some

parts of this area and not others, perhaps other confounding factors were

also brought over time from the same area.

I recall in December 1990 flying by Mt. McKinley (Denali) and being told

that the "arctic haze" I was seeing was really pollution from coal burning

plants in Soviet Central Asia.

I also find the concept of winds blowing due north for 1500 miles

interesting to say the least. What have been the reported results from

Belarus, Latvia, Estonia, and Finland, all in the direct path of the

radiation travelling to northern Sweden?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Richard

Aurora, Ontario, Canada